Tuesday, December 20, 2011

No Ocean Here....

If you haven't noticed, I have been seeing driftwood all over the place.  From Taos to Oregon, it's popping up in furniture, mirrors and sculptures.  If you don't know what driftwood is, it's basically wood that has been washed ashore by a river or sea.  It's absolutely beautiful, as far as wood is concerned, it's typically smooth, has no sharp edges and is normally a grayish color.  Here are a few pictures of a few driftwood mirrors that I was gawking over.....







I kept thinking how I could possibly get driftwood; here in the middle of Colorado we are lacking an ocean or sea, but we do have beautiful Mountains.....No Complaints.  So after a beautiful walk around the Mineral Belt Trail (if you ever visit Leadville, Colorado the MBT is a must) I decided that I would start picking up wood from the forest that much resembles driftwood.  I collect a bunch of wood, while piling it high on Hazel's stroller, people looking weirdly at me as they passed on their bikes, and loading it all in the back of my car hoping my husband wouldn't notice (wink, wink)....all in the name of DRIFTWOOD!  The wood sat in our dining room for a few weeks, since I hadn't run across a mirror I wanted to use....then while browsing target I found a a mirror on clearance for $7.00....yayayayay!   After a little hot glue and half and hour, our mirror looks much like the above mirrors and probably at a fraction of the cost.  So came about our driftwood mirror.....







It's the perfect option for those who live near the mountains and not by an ocean!  No matter where you live you can have a driftwood mirror that represent your part of the country!  Happy Tuesday!

~Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment