Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Few Things to Keep Warm

Today I've been blogging from Leadville, Colorado.  This is where both my husband and I were raised, high in the Rocky Mountains, 10,000 feet above sea level, a quaint mining town with tons of snow.  Hazel and I just stepped inside from the very cold, but sunny outside and I started thinking about what things I love on a cold day and how to achieve those.

1.  Hot Nutella Coco (An absolute must try)~My husband is a big fan of everything Nutella, who can't resist the very creamy chocolate hazelnut spread. Over medium heat, add 4 cups of whole milk (or whatever milk fits your fancy) and 1/4 cup of Nutella. Warm until Nutella has melted. Top with whipped cream, marshmellows or both! YUM!


2.  Knitted Blanket~ One of my ultimate favorite items to keep warm is a beautiful knitted blanket.  I personally can not knit, but envy all who can. Maybe, someday I'll learn!  Anyone willing to teach me?




For now this will have to do.  Here's a cool video on how to Knit!



3.  A Warm Fire~This is one thing that I'm looking forward to this winter. Never before have we had a fireplace, until we moved to Colorado.  Here are a few pointers on how to start a fire, for those who weren't Boy Scouts. Which I have to admit, that both Jarod and I need as much help getting a fire start as possible.




Step 1: build a base.
Newspaper "wands" work well. Take a sheet and roll it from one corner to the other, tying it with twine. Make a half-dozen of these and lay them on the grate.
Step 2: add some kindling. 
Cross about a dozen dry twigs (those the diameter of your thumb are best) in the grate on top of the newspaper.
Step 3: stack the logs. 
Seasoned wood, or logs that have dried for at least six months, should be loosely placed in the grate, allowing for air space.
Step 4: open the damper. 
Now roll another wand, light it, and touch it to the newspaper in the grate. Immediately replace or close the screen. Remember, never leave a fire unattended.

Hope everyone is staying warm!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment