Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spring Has Sprung

I'm by no means an expert gardener, I'm actually more of a weekend warrior in the gardening world.  For the last 3 years I have attempted, and actually succeeded in producing some veggies, but this in no way qualifies me to give advice.  For me it's a learning process, a way for me to see what works and what doesn't.   The thing about gardening is it's very calming and brings you into the moment, it's almost ritualistic, therapeutic and energizing.  Gardening has been done for centuries and runs deep in my family blood, maybe that's why I'm so excited for this upcoming spring and summer!


For any gardening, whether that be flowers, shrubs, perennials, vegetables knowing your cities particular Hardiness/Climate Zone is important.  This basically means how and what plants can adapt to your area; the plant must be able to tolerate the climate conditions where you live.  The National Gardening Association has a map of the zones, plus it's a super helpful website to seek out for any questions or advice you may have regarding all gardening. 

The nice thing about buying plants or seeds locally is most stores will only sell flower, shrubs, perennials  and seeds that will thrive in your area!  BUY LOCAL if possible!

Colorado=5A   

A few weeks ago, I receive my April 2012 Country Living in the mail.  And to my surprise, there was a whole section on Vegetable Garden Planning!  YAY!  So, I got busy and drew out my plan for my 2012 Vegetable Garden.  


I'm quite the artist do you think?  So, what does all this mumbo-jumbo mean?  Basically it's what plants are being planted and where.  Everything from Zucchini and strawberries to Yukon Gold potatoes will be growing on the Roberts vegetable farm this year!

Here are a few views of the garden.  It still needs some nice top soil and some raised beds for the strawberries, potatoes and carrots---courtesy of the husband!



What happeninga this season in your garden?  Any Ideas or thoughts?  Next week we take a step into the class room for some Gardening 101.  Hope you enjoy your Thursday.  XO

~Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment